I would like to announce the formation of a new organization concerned with the training standards for lymphedema therapists in North America, the North American Lymphedema Education Association (NALEA).
NALEA is currently an alliance of the four lymphedema therapy certification schools responsible for training the majority of Certified Lymphedema Therapists (CLT) in North America according to standards set forth by the Lymphology Association of North America (LANA).
The current NALEA member schools are:
- Academy of Lymphatic Studies
- Dr. Vodder School International
- Klose Training and Consulting
- Norton School of Lymphatic Therapy
NALEA associate schools share the unified goal of setting and maintaining the highest standards of lymphedema education in North America and are in agreement regarding the minimum educational framework required to graduate lymphedema therapists. These specialized therapists must be able to demonstrate adequate knowledge and refined manual skills based upon medically sound, evidence-based practice. As such the core curricula of all NALEA programs impart knowledge in the internationally recognized gold standard of lymphedema treatment known as Complete or Combined Decongestive Therapy (CDT) as per the American Lymphedema Framework Project (ALFP), the International Society of Lymphology (ISL), the Lymphology Association of North America (LANA), the National Lymphedema Network- Medical Advisory Committee NLN-MAC, and NALEA.
NALEA functions to:
- Disseminate information regarding training standards to medical professionals, lymphedema patients, certified lymphedema therapists and prospective students
- Inform certified therapists of important developments and current research in the field of lymphedema management
- Monitor the content, scope and delivery models of its member programs curricula
- Maintain qualifications and standards for lymphedema instructors of member programs
- Uphold and strengthen the skills and knowledge base of trained therapists via recertification programs
- Provide an endorsement of quality to member programs by issuing the NALEA logo for posting on member websites and other promotional materials.
More information on this new organization, to include NALEA’s position concerning the Lymphedema Diagnosis and Treatment Cost Savings Act of 2010 can be viewed on its Web site http://www.lymphedemaeducationassociation.com/
Join Lymphedema Guru, a Facebook page solely dedicated to inform about all things related to lymphedema – news, support groups, treatment centers, and much more